Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spinning Corner

I am obviously not very good at blogging - as witnessed by the fact that it has been over 2 years since I last posted. :-)  But I've decided to use this sort of the way I use Pinterest - a way to capture a snapshot of things I will want to be reminded of. The only difference is that what I post should be things *I* have done, not things somebody else has done that catch my eye.

A lot has happened in the last two years. I'm still working full-time. I still sing Alto II in the La Jolla Symphony Chorus, and I'm still a member of San Diego Creative Weavers Guild and Complex Weavers.  We've had some ups and downs with my husband Eldy - he's still on chemo, and will be for the rest of his life, but he's doing really really well, for which I'm thankful.

For a year or two, I was on blood pressure medication, and it turned me into a zombie in the evenings. I hated it!  Awhile ago, I decided to stop taking the meds. (I probably wouldn't have done this if I really did have high BP, but I just have a condition that can make it dangerous if I get it, so the meds were supposed to be preventative. I decided that quality of life trumps quantity. )

So I'm finally starting to emerge from the fog, and feeling like doing creative things again. Even better, I'm currently on track to retire this summer (94 days, according to the countdown app on my phone!) So I've been trying to get my ducks in a row, revive some of my previous passions, and prepare myself for that blissful time when I can spend my days doing whatever I want to do!

This post is about one of my re-organization projects.  On Dawn McFall's blog (http://mffstudio.blogspot.com/),  I drooled over photos of her studio, and was especially enamored of some wooden carts. I emailed her to find out where they came from, got a reply, and ordered one.
Here's my new spinning corner!
You can see my Ikea chair in the foreground, my Lendrum double treadle spinning wheel, and in front of the window, my new cart. To the left of the cart is my to-go spinning basket, to the right is a basket with baggies of sheep breed samples. On the bottom shelf, I've got my Sheep Breeds Swap notebook, a bin with all of my Lendrum fliers, and the Lendrum lazy kate. On the middle shelf is a tensioned lazy kate, and I'll probably add a basket to hold fiber.My ball winder is attached to the top, although I may move that to one of the legs.
In the drawer, I have a few small niddy noddies, a water bowl for linen spinning, several orifice hooks, labelling tags, and an extra driveband. I have since added a little notebook and a pen.

It feels so nice to have all of my spinning stuff nice and tidy in one spot! And since this is in the corner of the family room, I hope that I'll be more likely to sit down and spin frequently. That thought makes me happy.

1 comment:

Sara said...

welcome back! I look forward to hearing about your new retired adventures :).