Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Explosion of Sorts

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted. I have always thought Nov/Dec is the busiest time of year, but this year, May/June has been hopping! This picture of an agapanthus blossom in my front yard captures the feeling - an explosion of budding flowers. This year, the buds started appearing back in May. That's pretty early - I've always thought of these as my "fireworks" flowers, since that's what they look like, and they usually bloom around July 4th.


I got the David loom all warped up for the next project - TaqueTea Towels. I will be weaving taquete towels with a teapot/teacup design (posted previously). But.... things have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to sit down and actually weave, so the loom is waiting patiently.

So.... what have I been up to? Well, although I don't really have any pictures of the event, I demoed inkle weaving and spinning at a local elementary school for their Gold Rush Day event. It was a lot of fun - the kids were ecstatic that I actually let them try both weaving and spinning. These were 4th graders - the perfect age for learning fiber techniques. A friend who teaches at the school said spinning and weaving were the hit of the day. :-) Never miss an opportunity to help create a new spinner or weaver. Here's my floor inkle loom, with about half of the warp woven.


And here's a closeup. You can see it's a super simple pattern.


My best spinning buddies - Mary and Taryl and Dawn - came over one Sunday afternoon for lunch and wine and an afternoon of spinning. Here's a picture toward the end of the afternoon, when we had stopped spinning and were oohing and aahing over the cool stuff on Taryl's iPhone.


And here's the CVM I've been spinning.



Last weekend, the four of us got all gussied up in our costumes and demoed at a lovely event in Old Town called Ladies Day, which is held the first weekend in June each year. From left to right - Dawn, Taryl, Mary, and me.


A woman came by doing period authentic hairdos - here she is working on Mary's hair, with Taryl watching.


And here's Dawn, wearing a bonnet and a big grin, and spinning away.


Let's see, then there was the chanting activity I led at a retreat in Descanso for the Unity Center. Ommmmmmmmm.......

And just to show that *some* are still at leisure, here's my beloved poodle Joy, luxuriating on the sofa like the queen of the castle that she is. She's doing pretty well for 13 and 1/2 years old!

2 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

You do have a lot going on!!!

I love how Joy looks on that couch!! One of my friends has a male standard poodle that same color. They're wonderful dogs!

I never imagined that there would be people who know how to create different period hairstyles. How fun!

That's great that you have hopefully inspired some new weaving or spinning recruits!

Looking forward to more of the TaqueTea towels (very clever name there!) I need to get back to my loom....but there is a lot going on here now that keeps me outside and on the move. I'm not being as good at finding time to weave as I did in the winter.

Take care!
Sue

Deanna said...

Hi Sue! Yes, standard poodles are wonderful! Mine's a little neurotic, but I adore her, and she is well-named. :-)

Thanks for your comment! I so love reading your blog, and your comments are always so cheerful!