Monday, March 9, 2009

So BIG!

Look how big the baby hummingbirds are!!!! You can see their feathers developing, and now their beaks always show. I suspect they will be fledging very very soon. A good friend said to keep watching - at some point the mama bird will likely sit a ways away and call to them. I'm looking forward to seeing them learning to fly, even if it means they'll be going away.

Another friend suggested leaving the nest in place - saying sometimes they will return next year to the same nest, if it is still there.



3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

They are really filling that nest!!

I know when our phoebes hatch, we sometimes see them practicing flying, or just perched right near the nest. And they'll hang around for a day or so.

Then we don't see them again until much later in the summer...maybe they exhaust all the food right near us while they're nesting and fledging.

Enjoy!! I hope you get to see them as they leave the nest!

Sue

Lynnette said...

I'm getting a bit worried that they will leave the nest before I get my fill of hummingbird photos! They do look very fat and well fed - their parents must be working very hard indeed.

Deanna said...

I hope I get to see them learn to fly, too. And... I don't think I'll be ready when they are ready to go. It's one of those happy/sad things, right?