Saturday, January 3, 2009

Like Riding a Bicycle

Yesterday, my friend Mary and I went down to Liberty Station to see a wonderful quilt exhibit called A Full Deck at the Visions Art Quilt Gallery. Very cool exhibit - each of the quilts is based on a card in a deck of cards, and the range of techniques was awe-inspiring. Some of them were incredibly clever, too! If you're in San Diego, and have some time this weekend, check it out - tomorrow is the last day.

It was also cool to see the place - San Diego Creative Weavers Guild has been talking about possibly getting guild space at Liberty Station. This would be so good, for so many reasons. We currently meet at a rec center, and since our meetings are on Saturdays, we are accompanied by the basketball noise from the gym next door. Since the city has cut back hours at the rec centers, we can no longer stay and have hands on activities in the afternoons after our guild meetings - we have to stack the chairs and be out by 12:30. The main thing this place has had going for it the last few years is a) it's incredibly cheap (and with shrinking guilds, that helps) and b) they have allowed us to use cabinets in one room and a hallway to store our guild library and some guild equipment. That's a feature that's hard to duplicate anywhere else.

So, I've got my fingers crossed. If we have meeting and gallery space at Liberty Station, perhaps the added visibility would also help us to attract new weavers.

But... that wasn't what I planned to post about. This is ...


My poor spinning wheel has been sitting idle for a long time (not as long as the looms, but still) so yesterday, I brought it downstairs, got out a batt and yep - spinning is like riding a bike - even if it has been a while, it seems to come back to you fairly quickly. This was a blend from a Deb Menz workshop I took at the southern California regional conference back in, yikes, 2005. Well aged, and a delight to spin! I've got several more batts - may try to do one with a thicker singles. This bobbin needs to be plied, and I'm not sure if it will muddle the colors too much.

So far, so good, regarding my intention to start the new year with fun and creativity!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Whoa! Post upon post, you are inspiring :).

Lynnette said...

Hi there,
I would love to send you one of the Louet DVD's but need an address. Please email me off blog at lynneisweaving@yahoo.ca and I'll pop one in the mail. It came gratis with the loom, so would just like to share the bounty.