Friday, May 2, 2008

Why I Am Fat

I have solved one of the major mysteries of the universe.

First, let me say that I did accomplish something this week - I did do the spreadsheets for the business idea - complete with a worksheet for startup costs, one for estimated monthly expenses, one for sales projections. Buzz kill, that financial stuff. When I was done, I realized I was nuts to even consider trying to start a retail business, given that I have no experience in the area and I might need to work myself to death just to make enough to live on in southern California.

Friends consoled me with alternatives..... but the rapid stream of "but but but" in my mind was almost louder than the lawnmower outside. I had a stunning realization. I have no desire to run a store at all, I simply wanted a business that would let me be around fiber and have some extra space for a studio. Surely there's an easier way.

In the meantime, I put an entry in my to-do list to use my inherited cone winder to wind a cone of a combo yarn, then wind a warp and get to weaving. Alas, resistance is not futile. Not being sure how to use said cone-winder, I have found a myriad of ways to divert me from the uncertainty...... a trip to the library for a book by Anais Nin (amazingly, I've never read any of her books) and one called The Rough Guide to Blogging (because no activity is easy enough not to require extensive research first and even a cool looking book called DHTML and CSS Advanced because this stuff is very neat even if I have my doubts about returning to programming. And just in case I got too close to actually doing anything, there were the furtive trips to the kitchen for snacks. One little container of applesauce. Righteous and healthy. One large spoon of Nutella. Oops. Or maybe two. The source of belly fat is unbirthed creativity.

On a lighter note, no pun intended, here's a photo of what I see in my bedroom sanctuary when I wake up in the morning.

No comments: