Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fearless

I've been playing in fantasyland lately........ and it all began with a web site I Stumbled Upon - www.yarniapdx.com. For the last few years, I have not been working fulltime - I've been doing a wide variety of volunteer jobs, but it is time to figure out how to generate an income and become a contributing member of society, rather than a parasite. The search was vaguely dissatisfying - I didn't really want to go back to my previous career. Then I encountered the above mentioned web site.

So, I ... well, I allowed myself to wallow in a fantasy of creating something similar here. I even drove around checking out potential locations. The store that inspired me sells custom created yarns by the pound. "What if I create custom yarns that are sold by the yard rather than by the pound? And hey, maybe the weavers wouldn't want to make custom yarns at all - just be able to wind off exactly what they need for a warp. That would give them a wide variety of fibers and colors to choose from without having to purchase and store a huge stash of cones themselves. "

Normally, a combination of fear and logic would effectively and quite rapidly squelch this impulse. But no...... this one has persisted. The idea has been rolling around in my head for several weeks now, and hasn't gone away. In fact, I've started a business plan, and checked out a bunch of books from the library since I have no experience in retail. I've fantasized about what I could offer besides yarn - including allowing customers to sell their creations on consignment, and having a classroom for teaching fiber classes.

The basics of the business plan have been easy to put in place. Now it's time to work on financial statements, and that will be a challenge. That sort of stuff usually gives me serious headaches, so I will need to push through my resistance and reluctance if this is to happen. It may be that I'm nuts and this won't really happen.

Strangely enough, the topic at my Unity church this week was Spiritually Unstoppable - not letting fear or negative people stop you in your tracks.

"You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind."
~ Dale Carnegie

I just hope that this dream will find existence somewhere other than just in my mind as well.

1 comment:

Sara said...

aHA!

Wonderful :). I look forward to keeping up with you this way, yay!
(that is, if you are better at updating than I am...)

Oh, and you are not a parasite. You take care of family obligations, I've seen you. Don't take on someone else's condemnation. (can you see me shaking my finger?)

Love you.